This week, as Bella and I were reading about the missionary, George Muller, we came to the point when George meets and marries his wife. When I read that George was 8 years younger than his wife, Bella states, "I've always thought that I would be at least a little younger than my husband." Umm... always thought!?!
Then following our reading, she comes up to me and says, very seriously, that she wants to tell me something. "I'm starting to fall in love, myself." Say what!?!
I calmly reply, "With who?"
"Isaiah."
"From camping?" Last month we went camping with friends from college, and one of their sons is this said Isaiah.
"Yes. But don't tell Dad." At this point she is slightly blushing. She follows with, "We had a good time at camp, me and Isaiah. We wandered off. That's the time I ran the most!"
Well, the panicked mother in me had to point out that Isaiah is younger than her, but that didn't seem to deter her. She also added, "Too bad I can't marry Josiah. But he's my cousin. And there's a law that says we can't marry."
Ahh... well... at least she picked a Christian boy! And I'm slightly thankful that they live in Kentucky so her puppy love can wear off... I'm not ready for this! Where has my baby gone?
Here is Bella and Isaiah running off while hiking:
I'm very happy that Bella's "love" is an innocent and natural part of growing up. And I'm thankful that she thought to tell me.
Addie's venture into teenage-dom, however, was not as pleasant. Yesterday, while I was forcing my girls to clean their playroom (how dare I?) Addie grumbles, "I wish I didn't have a mom."
Ouch. I know this is a precursor to much stronger words I will inevitably hear, but I'm not gonna lie, it stung. And it still hurts. My saving grace was that sweet Bella stood up for me. "Addie, that is not nice to say! How would you like it if someone said, 'I wish I didn't have an Addie.'"
To which Addie replies, "So."
"Then I wish I didn't have an Addie," stated Bella.
"Really? For real?" She might have felt a slight sting from her big sister, but it didn't adjust her attitude toward me one iota. Booger.
No comments:
Post a Comment