Tuesday, March 22, 2011

A Full Day of Sports

This past Saturday was a very full day of sporting events for Bella. We started the day off with her last soccer game of the season. Her team won and she scored a goal right between two opposing players! Unfortunately, it was at a moment that I was wrangling the boys, and I missed the photo shot once again. Sigh. 
Saturday was such a hot Mississippi day. I covered the family with sunscreen, but the sun was unrelenting and there was absolutely no shade on the soccer fields. Jacob decided to hide between my legs to get a little relief for his head:
Of course, that meant Will wasn't far behind. He came over to show me that Addie was hiding under her folding chair...
...and then realized that Jacob had scored some shade of his own. He then tried to force Jacob out of this coveted spot which resulted in my boys wrestling over who could sit between my legs. Yep. Awkward. So end result? They both got the boot out into the sun. I can't blame them, though... it was mighty hot.
Will later got a hold of my water bottle and spilled some water down his shirt. He absolutely HATES having wet clothing on, and so he stripped off his shirt and was working on his shorts before I caught him. When I put his shirt back on, he then continued to strip again, and this time I caught some photos of it. Note: his shirt says 'Ladies Man', and if you ask me, he knows how to work this pose!
He thought it was great fun, but he wasn't too pleased that I forced his shirt back on. Again. Fortunately he chose to give up the fight after that.


After heading home from the soccer fields we grabbed some lunch and tried to rest a bit before our trek to the softball fields. Our afternoon started at 2:15 with an opening ceremony to kick off the softball season. Then Bella had two tournament games at 4:00 and 7:00. We watched a friend play her game at 3:00 as we waited for Bella's turn. She did pretty good for her first softball game ever (although that is the opinion of this very inexperienced softball mom). Her position is outfield between first and second base:
Her team is very official in all that they do. The coach's wife puts name tags in the dugout in their batting order. Kind of neat:
Bella's first time up to bat. They call this a 'coach pitch' group, but the coaches actually just feed the ball through a 33 mph pitching machine. 
She tipped a foul ball (you can see it near the left edge of the photo). She made contact, so that was good!
With over 6 hours at the fields, I came prepared with plenty of snacks and toys for the siblings. They found many ways to occupy the time:
Jacob manages to make friends no matter where we go. He just assumes that all boys will be his friend, no matter how old or young. He never introduces himself, he just starts playing, chasing, tackling, or wrestling with the other boys as if he's been friends with them for years. Sometimes it works great, but other times he is seen as a little pest (to the older crowds). It makes me a bit nervous for him, but he usually just rolls with it. If the other boys reject him, he falls back to Addie and Will for company. I'm thankful that my children have each other. This time, however, he had a blast:
My favorite photo of the day:
Bella batting during her second game:
Will was ready to leave:
For such a long day, I was truly thankful that the children did so well. Of course, by the 7:00 game, they were going a bit crazy. I found myself saying to another parent, "Can you tell we've been here since 2:15?" But they were good sports and for that I am grateful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment