Saturday, April 20, 2013

Awana Grand Prix

Today our family participated in our first Awana Grand Prix. Originally, the race was scheduled for December, so over Thanksgiving break the children made their cars with their dad and their Grandpa during our trip to Florida. I wish I had thought to take photos of the construction process, but unfortunately I didn't. They really enjoyed making the cars and I'm glad they were able to do it with my dad. Perhaps next year they can make them with Jake's dad!

When we arrived, the first thing to do was to sign in and weigh their cars. After weigh-in the cars were lined up for design judging. Here is a shot of all the cars:
(Sorry about the photo quality... I forgot the camera so these are all taken by phone!)
Here are our cars... from left to right they belong to:
Will, Bella, Addie, and Jacob

After judging and introductions, the races began! There were three brackets that corresponded with the Awana clubs: Cubbies, Sparks, and T&T. Each car ran 8 heats, and then there were championship rounds. We learned that there were a few families that dominated the races, but since this was our first race we made some mental notes for next time. We still managed to come home with a few awards! 

Will received the first trophy of the day for Cubbies - 3rd place Design for his Angry Beaver car.
 Addie also took 3rd place Design for the Sparks.
 Jacob was quite thrilled with his award: Sparks - 2nd place Speed.
Bella had the toughest bracket, as there were significantly more cars in the T&T group. This time she came home with a participation award. Maybe next year!
Since Jacob took 2nd place in speed, he made it to the grand champion round. Here's a look at the final heat. Jacob is in lane 4, all the way to the right: 
We had a great morning at the Grand Prix and so much fun. I am already looking forward to next year's races, and I hope that as we continue to move with the military that we will be lucky to find more clubs that participate in these extra activities!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Julie! I had a question for you about possibly collaborating on something and was hoping you could email me back to discuss? Thanks so much!

    - Emma

    emmabanks9 (at) gmail (dot) com

    ReplyDelete