Monday, August 5, 2013

Summer Crafts

In the past month or so I have seen many people talking about melting pony beads into sun catchers. I did a quick Google search and found several sets of instructions, so I combined a few tips and the kids and I had some fun! We used muffin tins for the circles, and metal cookie cutters (laid on a cookie sheet) for the shapes. To avoid the melted plastic fumes, we used the outdoor grill to melt the beads (one of the best tips I found on the internet). We didn't use translucent beads, but we weren't really going for the 'sun catcher' effect so that didn't bother us. The prettiest beads we used were the pearlescent beads - they left nice color swirls. We tried melting some glow-in-the-dark beads, but they did not work correctly, so I would recommend avoiding those. They bubbled up and didn't melt down flat.
Our finished creations.
We drilled some holes and made a few wind chimes for the front door. (Addie has been using the rest of the shapes as furniture for her figurines when she plays.)

Another project we completed were tye-dye shirts and pillowcases. Our friends had invited us over to join them one day and we enjoyed creating our designs. It was kind of tricky to get the results we were aiming for, and we ran out of dye on the pillowcases, but we like how they turned out. We just might have to do this again after the girls grow out of these shirts. 

We also had a 'science' day when we made oobleck (the cornstarch/water mixture) and some really neat foam. Unfortunately, I had forgotten my camera so there are no photos from that day. I love summertime because we finally have time to do all those fun extras that I can never seem to squeeze into our days during the school year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment